When choosing bedroom carpet, first consider how much traffic your carpet will be subjected to…
If you are carpeting a guest bedroom that is seldom used, you may want to consider a cost-efficient carpet. On the other hand, if your bedroom is subject to high traffic, you’ll want to consider a higher quality carpet
Density – For a higher quality carpet, you will need to ask your salesperson to show you a high density carpet. Density is measured by the number of yarns per square inch.
Yarn Twist – The best quality of carpet lies in the yarn twist. How many times the yarn is twisted per square inch. Higher and tighter yarn twist in carpet naturally are factors in quality carpet. Just because a carpet looks good on the surface doesn’t necessarily mean it is a quality carpet.
Choosing Carpet Fiber
- Fibers– There are basically six fibers used in carpet produced in the US….wool, cotton, nylon, polyester, acrylic or olefin. There are no ideal carpets if subjected abuse.
- Most residential carpets are pile fibers (polyester, nylon and olefin) the most expensive and durable being nylon.
- Nylon – Nylon is very stain resistant and durable. If your bedroom is a high traffic area, nylon is the best choice. Nylon carpet works well in living rooms, dens and hall ways.
- Wool – Wool is the premier carpet in construction. Durability and resistance are both excellent. But be well advices…wool is twice as expensive as nylon carpet.
- Polyester – Polyester will crush easily but has excellent stain resistance. If you choose polyester for the price factor, be sure to get a low pile height as the higher piles crush easily and flatten out.
The color carpet you choose is just as important as wall colors and window treatments. There are so many carpet colors available today, that we don’t have to just choose beige or light brown, simply because we know it will match literally every other color we have in our bedroom.
Bedroom Carpet Styles
Plush carpeting is the most luxurious of all carpets, and even though it does show foot prints and vacuum marks it will work fine in low traffic rooms, such as bedrooms.
Cable style carpet not only looks great, but it feels great under your feet. Because cable carpet is made of fat nubby yarn, that will crush and matte under, a lot of foot traffic, it works great in the bedroom where there is usually not to much heavy traffic.
Under carpet padding is just as important as the carpet itself. With the proper under padding you can add years to the life of your carpet. It provides noise reduction, support, insulation and it acts as a shock absorber. Padding can be found in different densities and thicknesses, you don’t want it to thick or too thin. Consult with the store professional to choose the best padding to use with the carpet you have chosen.
Bedroom carpet has the advantages of being warm when your feet hit the floor in the morning or even in the middle of the night, carpet holds up well in bedrooms, because it isn’t a high traffic area. The carpet you choose can enhance your space or it can ruin the effect altogether.
Keep carpet clean and it will look great for many years. Vacuuming carpet frequently will remove soil before it has a chance to become set into the surface of the pile.