Blend casual elegance with warmth and softness
When it comes to furniture for your shabby chic bedroom, shop thrift stores, estate sales, antique stores and yard sales. Keep eyes peeled for quality real wood pieces.
Your furniture doesn’t have to match, although it should at least favor. If it is old and distressed already then you are good to go, if not, you can easily achieve the shabby look by painting the piece, then sandpapering it, to give it a distressed look.
Shop estate sales, antique stores and flea markets for shabby chic bedroom decorative accents, such as, ladder back chairs with rush seating, a wicker rocking chair, a vanity with stool, iron bed frames, narrow antique white bookcases, antique mirrors, wicker baskets, wicker bed trays and floral patterned hat boxes.
- Walls – If you have bead board walls, then you are off to a great start, for your bedroom decorating, but if not, paint the walls in colors such as, pure white, ivory, eggshell, cream, lavender, soft pink, sage green or beige.
- Flooring – Hardwood floors in the shabby chic bedroom are largely used. Add lots of area rugs. Popular choices are hand woven and braided rugs, antique oriental and sisal rugs. Carpet is not usually chosen for this type decorating theme, but if you have carpet and don’t want to remove it, use lots of area rugs.
- Lighting – As in any shabby chic room in the home, antique white or crystal chandeliers are always my first choice, finish the lighting with wall sconces, table lamps with floral shades and candles in swirly candle holders.
- Shabby Chic Bedding – can be a mixture of solid pastel colors, florals, stripes and patterns. Easily add depth to the bed by mixing and matching sheets, pillow cases, dust ruffles and comforters. Pile lots of pillows on the bed in mixed patterns and colors. The Home Decorating Company has a large variety of eye-catching Shabby Chic Bedding with matching draperies and window treatments. Curtains, drapes and valances are available in matching designs and fabrics. Chenille is also a popular choice for shabby chic bedding. A canopy over the bed helps complete the overall look and feel of the room
- Window Treatments – Shabby Chic window treatments should be simple, soft in color, loose, airy and light weight. They should be hung on appropriate shabby chic rods and finish the look with finials and tie backs. Another window treatment idea is hanging a valance in the shabby chic bedroom. This gives the room a perfectly put together look and works well hung above blinds.