Simple Treasure From The Past. Do you want to stretch your decorating dollars? If yes, shop estate sales, antique stores and thrift shops for american antique furniture, primitive home accents, handmade crafts and rustic items.
Keep your eyes peeled for favorite accessories, such as, old fabrics, picture frames, crates, wooden american flags, barn stars, old pictures, crocks and stoneware that can be arranged to give your home that lived in feel.
Give interest to the room through texture, introduce homespun materials, muslin, old quilts and other americana fabrics through for curtains, throw pillows, and other fabric covered items used in your room.
Compliment your windows with early american period and homespun curtains, swags, tiers and/or valances.
Pattern – Fabrics & Accessories
- Some of the more popular fabrics are muslin, cotton, ticking and tobacco cloth.
- Some favorite patterns to choose from are checks, plaids, gingham, farm animals, birds, stars, berries and vines.
- Shelves hung to display primitive bowls, rustic baskets, crocks, homespun rag dolls, bells, crows, roosters, berries and rusty tin wire items.
- Primitive Forged Iron, Wooden Ware,Treenware and Redware are all very popular for primitive decorating Ideas.
- Look for primitive folk art prints in scenes depicting simpler times such as, farm scenes, barns, flower gardens, general stores, and farm equipment.
- Antique wooden flags, primitive wreaths, vintage signs and plaques with verses are also great wall hangings.
Steps for creating primitive decor
1. Paint walls in dark or muted primitive colors, such as slate gray, goldenrod yellow, cottage rose, colonial, settlers or saratoga blue, sage, hemlock or holly hill green, olde mustard, or light cream. Accent colors are federal black or blue, barn red and tavern green.
2. If you are fortunate, in that you can add flooring of your choice, antique wood floors is the ideal choice in this style decor.
A few of my all time favorites are antique hemlock, heart pine, or white pine flooring.
3. If you already have carpet and can’t work wood flooring into the budget at this time, just be sure to add some braided, hooked or rag rugs. Rugs should actually be used on wood flooring also, they really help tie all the elements together.
4. Furniture in this style should be Americana from original 18th through 20th century, reclaimed barnwood and handcrafted wood reproduction pieces. While some popular finishes are antique oak, walnut, black cherry, brown mahogany, you can also incorporate light, medium and heavily distressed pieces.
5. Lighting ideas for a primitive decor can range from colonial, rustic and folk lighting and can be found in wooden or tin chandeliers, tin lanterns, punched tin lighting, wall sconces, candle or oil table lamps